Hello PG families:
As I write this, we're into our second snow day off due to the winter storm Juno. I imagine your little ones are anxious to return to school and get back into a routine of sorts. Hopefully, they've also enjoyed some time to play in the snow!
Winter can seem long, and even endless at times. It's the time of year where we are more prone to getting sick and families may be stuck indoors due to inclement weather. The CDC puts out a helpful list of hints to keep kids happy and healthy during the long winter season. Enjoy the list and keep yourselves and the little ones safe, happy and healthy through these long winter months!
1. Wash your hands often! Coughs/germs are abound in winter.
2. Manage stress. Have a balanced approach to work, home and play for the whole family.
3. Dress yourself and your little ones in plenty of layers so they can enjoy their time outside without fear of being too cold!
4. Plan fun indoor activities to keep your kids busy and active during the winter. Local libraries and museums often have fun, low-cost or free events for students and families in the winter.
5. Encourage healthy eating and good sleep hygiene! A great way to encourage healthy eating during the winter is to visit a local farmers market or grocery store and plan a cooking project with your kids. Give them roles/jobs to assist in making the meal and enjoy it together as you talk about your day. After dinner, have some low-key activities planned such as reading books together or watching a family movie. Have everyone get to bed at a decent hour at the same time. Liken it to hibernating like a bear! :)
In the meantime, be well!